December 21st, 2012
December ? the month when more people indulge in eggnog, gingerbread lattes, peppermint-flavored drinks, chocolate covered you-name-its, and our ever-favorite candy canes. December is also a month full of all the hustle and bustle of holiday decorating, holiday shopping, and party planning for offices, families, and friends. But of course, many of us like to wait ?til the last minute and so here we are?Thin ?n Trim?s Last Minute Healthy Holiday Party Snacks & Appetizers! How else would you celebrate the holidays with us?! Remember that all of our Thin ?n Trim products are low in fat and low in sodium.
- To start off, we have our Ham-Wrapped Asparagus?with Balsamic Glaze, which can be made in under an hour. The recipe title basically gives away all the ingredients as it uses Thin ?n Trim deli ham (which by the way, only has 220 mg of sodium per 2 oz. serving), asparagus, and balsamic vinegar. Jump to the recipe page for detailed directions!
- Next, we have our Buffalo ?Wings??Without the Worry! While this may not be a typical recipe title that you?ve encountered, it surely takes a twist on a familiar appetizer. It?s basically made with our Thin ?n Trim All Natural Wild Buffalo Chicken Sausage, celery sticks, and our own ?skinny? dip. Keep in mind that our chicken sausage only has 250 mg of sodium and 2.5 grams of fat per link, making this a healthy and tasty snack!
Now, we get a little creative with recipes, adding a touch of Thin ?n Trim. ?As you are reading these recipes, keep in mind that Thin ?n Trim fresh deli ham, regardless of flavor, only has 220 mg of sodium per 2 oz. serving. If you?d rather use our deli chicken in place of the ham, note that each of our chicken breasts have 180 mg of sodium per serving, except for our Golden Homestyle Chicken Breast with 280 mg of sodium per serving. And if you prefer turkey breast instead, then our deli turkeys only have 210-280 mg of sodium per serving. Our Thin ?n Trim fresh deli line has the lowest sodium per serving that you will ever see!
? 8 square whole-wheat crackers
? 3 tablespoons marina or tomato sauce
? 3 tablespoons shredded skim mozzarella cheese
? 2 slices of Thin ?n Trim deli ham, sliced into small strips or diced (this amount can be upped depending on how much ham you want per cracker)
1. ?Heat broiler/toaster oven. Place the crackers on a baking sheet.
2. ?Evenly distribute the marina and the cheese on the crackers. Top the crackers with ham.
3. ?Broil for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
4. ?Serve and enjoy!
Cucumber, Avocado, & Ham Toasties
? 4 oz. cream cheese
? 4 oz. mashed avocado
? 1 French baguette, sliced into ? inch circles
? 1-3 cucumbers, sliced (amount of cucumbers depends on how thin/thick you slice them!)
? ? pound Thin ?n Trim deli ham
? Dry dill weed (optional)
? Pepper (optional)
1. ?Lightly toast the baguette slices.
2. ?Mix the cream cheese and avocado.
3. ?On each slice, spread a thin layer of the cream cheese and avocado mix.
4. ?Top each with a cucumber slice and either ? or ? slice of ham.
5. ?Sprinkle with dill weed and/or pepper and serve!
Crackers or bread can be used in place of the French baguette slices, and the avocado can be skipped if it is not readily available.
For the following recipe, note that Thin ?n Trim Chicken Sausages are All Natural and Gluten-Free, with only 210-250 mg of sodium per link!!
Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Sausage Bruschetta
? 1 package Thin ?n Trim Chicken Sausage, sliced into small pieces (flavor is your choice)
? 1 pound mushroom, chopped
? 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
? ? cup fresh chopped parsley
? 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (regular tomatoes can work as well)
? ? cup grated parmesan cheese
? 1 loaf of Italian or French bread, sliced into ? to ? inch slices
? Cooking spray
1. ?In a non-stick pan with cooking spray, cook mushrooms and sausage for about 5 minutes, until the sausage is lightly browned and the mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. ?In the same bowl, add the balsamic vinegar, parsley, and sun-dried tomatoes. You can also add salt and pepper to taste.
3. ?Toast the bread slices until golden brown, and top with the mushroom mixture.
4. ?Serve warm!
Hopefully those are enough recipes to help you get started with your festivities. Stay safe, warm, and enjoy your holidays. As long as Friday isn?t really doomsday on the Mayan calendar, then 2013 is just around the corner, as well as our buckets of New Year?s Resolutions!