September 13th, 2013
As we all have been told, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What most of us also know is that it’s okay to eat to a breakfast item at any time of the day! So while this is a recipe for a breakfast burrito, you can easily enjoy it whenever you please.
I first started eating breakfast burritos in college. They served as quick and easy grab-and-go meals that were readily available at the college cafeterias as well as some fast food chains nearby. Meat choices can vary for a breakfast burrito, but I have recently concluded that the healthiest option was Thin ‘n Trim chicken sausage, as opposed to pork sausage or bacon. Thin ‘n Trim chicken sausages are 95% fat free, and with this recipe calling for only 1 link per burrito, the meat in this recipe itself only provides 70 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, and 250 mg of sodium. So while chicken sausages are clearly lower in fat than pork sausage and bacon, it is the low sodium content of Thin ?n Trim chicken sausages that makes these links stand out more when compared to other chicken sausage brands. Not only that, but the taste is key!
Buffalo Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burrito (recipe page here)
1 link of Thin ‘n Trim Wildfire Buffalo Chicken Sausage
1 tortilla wrap
2 eggs (3 eggs are pictured, but I reduced it to 2 eggs at the last minute!)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup diced potato
1/2 cup blend of diced red pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. shredded Mexican cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp. salsa
1. Cut the Thin ?n Trim Buffalo Chicken Sausage link into 1/4 inch slices.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat. When heated, add the sliced chicken sausage to the pan. Note: no oil is needed.
3. Cook until the slices are browned on both sides. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add the diced potatoes. Cook until they are lightly browned on all sides.
5. Add the diced peppers, cooking for about 2 minutes.
6. Add the 2 eggs to the pan. Scramble the eggs for 2-3 minutes, mixing the pan ingredients together.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken sausage slices and cook for another minute.
8. Toss in the cilantro and shredded cheese. Continue to mix everything.
9. Lay the tortilla wrap on a plate. Spoon the pan ingredients into the center of the tortilla. Depending on the size of your wrap and how full you want your burrito, you may not be able to fit it all. You can spoon the rest of it on the side.
10. Top with 3 tbsp. of salsa.
11. Fold the sides of the tortilla over, and wrap with foil.
12. Enjoy! You can serve it with a side of salsa as well.