February 20th, 2014
There are times when we cook, when we dread the amount of prep bowls that need to be washed afterwards. One pot recipes make this easier by limiting cooked meals to just the one, lonesome pot. There is no need for setting any ingredient aside, as everything goes into the pot in a certain order.
The following one pot skillet recipe is a Mexican-inspired pasta dish. It was actually created using ingredients that I already had in my refrigerator and pantry, seeing as I did not want to dig out the car from the snow that we recently accumulated. If you don’t happen to have every ingredient listed, you are free to change it up with what you do have. With the ingredients that I used, I did not find a need to add any salt. So the sodium came only from the chicken sausages, the black beans, the chicken broth, and the queso fresco.
This was an extremely easy dish to make, so be sure to look for more one pot recipes in the future.
Mexican One Pot Chicken Sausage & Pasta Skillet
(recipe page can be found here)
3 links of Thin ‘n Trim Chipotle & Peach Salsa Chicken Sausage, sliced & quartered
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 can of black beans
1 jalapeno, minced
1-3/4 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk
8 oz. of small shell pasta (or your choice)
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
7 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Add olive oil to heated skillet.
2. Toss in diced onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, until onions are translucent.
3. Add the chicken sausage pieces, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Cook for about 5 minutes, until chicken sausage is browned.
4. Add the can of black beans. Cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the jalapeno, chicken broth, and milk. Bring the contents to a boil.
6. Add the pasta and diced tomato. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat a bit, and let the contents cook for about 20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through and has absorbed the broth.
7. Turn the stove off. Add in the cilantro and the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and everything is evenly mixed.
8. Serve either as is, with tortilla chips, or with a bit of salsa on top!