March 7th, 2014
The following is an easy and healthy pasta dish that uses chicken sausages, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, diced tomatoes, and orzo. Orzo is simply a short-cut pasta that is shaped like a grain of rice. Overall, this dish should not take more than 30 minutes to cook, and when served hot, is a great dish to enjoy on a cold day. To lessen the amount of sodium per serving, you may opt to choose low sodium chicken broth, as well as a can of diced tomatoes that is labeled with “no salt added.” The recipe also calls for Thin ‘n Trim Garden Vegetable Chicken Sausage, but you are free to change it up with any of our other chicken sausage flavors, since they are all healthy choices! Enjoy!
Creamy Orzo with Chicken Sausage (recipe page here)
• 1 package Thin ‘n Trim Garden Vegetable Chicken Sausage, sliced into discs, then halved
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 medium zucchini, sliced into discs, then quartered
• 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
• 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cups orzo, uncooked
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1 (14 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
• 2 tbsp. heavy cream
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil.
2. When the oil is heated, add in the chopped onions & the quartered zucchini discs. Cook for about 4-5 minutes.
3.?Add the mushrooms, the chicken sausage pieces, and the garlic powder. Cook for about 3 minutes.
4.?Add the orzo to the mix. Toast for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil. When boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
6. Add in the can of diced tomatoes and the heavy cream. Stir and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until as creamy as you’d desire.
7. Add the salt and some pepper, to taste. Serve hot.