April 15th, 2015
Hello Spring! With all the snow and ice finally gone, we could only hope to spend more time outdoors. So instead of spending a few hours in the kitchen prepping dinner, why not trust our handy slow cookers to help with our meals? It definitely allows for more time doing whatever else we deem more important than standing over a stove. So for our first recipe (albeit a late one) of the year, we’ve opted for the easy and tasty route! The dish as a whole pairs well with spaghetti squash, and even better atop a bowl of cooked orzo.
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken & Sausage
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 16-oz. pack of Thin ‘n Trim All Natural Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 spaghetti squash
cooked orzo (optional)
1. Lay the raw chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker and drizzle with olive oil.
2. Add 1 tsp. each of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, kosher salt, and onion powder.
3. Lay the sliced chicken sausage over the seasoned chicken.
4. Top with the garlic cloves.
5. Pour the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar on top.
6. Top with the remaining 1/2 tsp. of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and kosher salt.
7. Cover and cook on high for five hours.
About 50 minutes prior to the slow cooker being done, prepare the spaghetti squash:
8. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and spoon out the inside seeds and fibrous strands.
9. Roast in the oven, cut side down, for 40 minutes at 400 degrees F.
10. Turn the oven off, flip the squash halves over, and allow it to cook for a few minutes.
11. Take a fork and harvest the spaghetti squash.
12. Serve the balsamic chicken & sausage over spaghetti squash alone, or over spaghetti squash & cooked orzo. Enjoy!