April 11th, 2014
The dish for this week is a pasta casserole. The sauce of choice is homemade country gravy. If making your own gravy is not your thing, then you are welcome to grab a small pack of gravy mix from the grocery store to make about 2 cups worth of it. The Swiss cheese was a small block I found in the cheese department that had no salt added, which I then had to grate myself. You can shop around for any version of the ingredients that will meet any of your dietary needs. Keep in mind that our ham steak slices are 95% fat free with only 280 mg of sodium per 2 oz. serving. Compare that to other ham steaks and you will see that Thin ‘n Trim is the healthier version!
Ham & Spinach Penne Casserole (recipe page)
• 1 Thin ‘n Trim Ham Steak, diced
• 8 oz. penne pasta
• 2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1/4 cup & 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 2 cups milk
1. Cook the penne pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. As the pasta is cooking, prepare the gravy.
3. Heat a pot over medium high heat and melt the butter.
4. Add the flour into the pot while whisking it in. Add the salt and the pepper and continue whisking until it is a bit pasty and browned.
5. Gradually whisk in the milk. Continue stirring and cooking until the gravy thickens.
7. Next, add the cheese and stir.