- Deb’s Spicy Ricey One-Dish Supper
- Buffalo Chicken Sausage Salad
- Burgers Cordon Bleu
- Ham Wrapped Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze
- Potato & Ham Soup
- Chinese Sticky Rice with Sweet Asian Chicken Sausage, Shiitake Mushrooms, & Dried Shrimp
- Grilled Portabella and Turkey Muffuletta
- Fully Loaded Beanie Weanies
- Ham-Stuffed Zucchini
- Baked Ham with Pineapple Sauce
- Cook Time: 50 min
- 1 10 oz. package Thin 'n Trim Hot Italian Chicken Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can stewed diced tomatoes (16 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lb shrimp cleaned and shelled (frozen or fresh)
- 1-1/2 cups white rice
In a saucepan, heat the oil or bacon fat, gradually stir in the flour. Use a fork to mix it, combining until it is a thick paste. This will be your base or roux to thicken your gumbo. Cook the roux until it begins to turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Coarsely chop Thin ‘n Trim’s low sodium Hot Italian Chicken Sausage and place into a skillet to brown, remove for heat and set aside.
In a large stock pot combine all the other ingredients except the shrimp, bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium heat, remove one to two cups of liquid and gradually stir in the roux. Once it’s smooth, add back into the stock pot to thicken, stirring constantly. Add in Thin ‘n Trim sausage and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Next add the shrimp. Simmer an additional 10 minutes.
Place a scoop of rice into soup bowl and ladle gumbo over rice, serve.